182 Feet of Limestone
The tower, built in 1869 by architect William W. Boyington from yellowing Lemon limestone, is 182 feet tall. Inside was a 138-foot high standpipe to hold water. In addition to being used for firefighting, the pressure in the pipe could be regulated to control water surges in the area. Together with the adjacent Chicago Avenue Pumping Station, it drew clean water from water cribs in Lake Michigan.